Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's Snake Season!



Minnesota snakes love these warm fall days. The gravel roads and highways are filled with garter and red belly snakes soaking up those last rays of sunshine. Unfortunately, there are cars on these roads as well. I have seen so many flattened snakes the last few days.


Today I brought in a tiny little garter snake and a red belly snake for the kids to explore. Almost every one of my 5th and 6th graders were brave enough to hold a snake. After spending the day in my classroom, I released them right where I found them - on the gravel road by my house (but I let them go in the ditch).


I am sure the poor little guys were scared to death being held hostage by 36 loud and boisterous kids. But I guess it beats the alternative of being flattened on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment