Thursday, October 10, 2013

Figuring Out Fractions



My student teacher, Miss Nelson, has been doing a fabulous job so far this year. We continue to work together to plan lessons and run the classroom.  Lately, she has been doing a lot of the planning on her own and I am continually impressed with her fabulous ideas. The point of student teaching is for her to learn from me, but I am feeling rejuvenated as she comes up with new ways do do things.

Here's an example.  Today's math lesson in our teacher's manual was pretty boring.  It had students looking at pictures and doing word problems relating to fractions - halves, fourths and tenths.  Carley took the lesson and turned it into centers.  The kids got to play "basketball" with the garbage can, do a fun game on the Smartboard and work with colorful fraction manipulatives.

She still has 2 months with us and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment