Sunday, October 17, 2010

6th Grade Chemistry



In High School I didn't like chemistry much. In fact, I avoided taking Chemistry II by taking a class called Office Practice where we learned how to type (on a typewriter!) invoices and bills of lading. Boy, that's a class I have never used!

Now I am teaching chemistry to 6th graders and I wish I had taken that chemistry class in high school. I spend a lot of time gaining background knowledge before I teach my lessons and I must admit now that I think chemistry is pretty interesting.

The 6th graders start out learning about matter. We work with balances to find the mass of an object and graduated cylinders to find the volume. Our latest lessons have been on density.

The fun part of chemistry is the "wow factor." Take this lesson on liquid density, for instance. Given four mystery liquids, the kids found the density of each one and then layered them on top of one another. Everyone was fairly impressed, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment