Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Looking for Caterpillars


I had a great day meeting all my parents and students at our first day of school conferences today. I just think the first day of school transition is so much easier when we get this one-on-one time to talk about expectations, etc. My voice is sore and my head is aching, but it was a good day.


I spent this evening scouring all the ditches near my house looking for monarch caterpillars. During the summer they are plentiful and we can find them by the dozens, but this time of year it's a little harder. I have over 20 chrysalises (what is the plural for chrysalis?) in my classroom and I let four butterflies go today. I want to show the class all the stages and so caterpillars are a must. I ended up with only three caterpillars on my journeys tonight and they will have to do. I guess we will be in groups of six tomorrow for observation time in science class. We just have to take what we can get from Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment